With the hurricane closing in-
Let’s focus on what we can do.
Try to get your hands on these items:
- Candles & matches in a waterproof container
- Food you don’t have to cook
- TP & Personal hygiene items
- Ice (or freeze Ziplocs of water)
- Plastic bags
- Bug spray (mosquitoes are a thing when there’s standing water)
- First aid kit
- Battery operated radio
If you’re having trouble finding these items locally, you can order online (try Sam’s club or Amazon)
Ideas for food/snacks in case the power goes out:
Crackers and tuna
Bread and peanut butter
Fruit & veggies
Parents don’t forget:
- baby food
- board games/coloring books/entertainment in case power goes out and you need a sanity break 😉
Also don’t forget to:
- Fill up your gas tank
- Fill up your bathtub
- Pull cash out of the ATM
- Charge your phone
- Do your laundry & clean your home. You may be without electricity for a bit.
- Make sure you have some way of hearing updates if the power goes out (radio, phone, etc)
- Gather your important documents and put them in a safe, easily accessible place in a waterproof bag.
- Look up a map of the area for local shelters in case they are needed after the storm hits
- Refill any prescriptions you may need prior to the storm
- Make a list of important phone numbers
- If I left anything out please add it to the comments section. Stay safe everyone!